- The Indian economy grew by 7.30% in 2014-15 and is projected to grow at higher rates in the future. The impetus is expected to be generated by the automobile, infrastructure, power and housing industry. Consequently, demand for coal, iron ore, aluminum, steel, bauxite and zinc is expected to head north;
- Minerals and metals contribute approximately 18% of total exports from India;
- During the year 2014-2015, 3,318 mines reported production;
- Deposit stocks of minerals have been steadily depleted. As a result there, is growing demand for skilled work force for R&D to scale up exploratory and excavation techniques, development and deployment of state of the art technology to improve extraction rates and reduce per unit cost.
- Aspiring mining engineers intending to pursue either BE or B.Tech degrees should have completed higher secondary school or equivalent examination with physics, chemistry and mathematics. Knowledge of computer applications would be an added advantage.
- Admissions to colleges / institutes are granted on the basis of performance in engineering entrance examinations such as IITJEE in the case of IITs / NITs, etc and CETs at the state level.
- ISM Dhanbad,
- IIEST Shibpur,
- Acharya Institute of Technology, Bangalore,
- IIT-BHU Varanasi,
- IIT Kharagpur,
- UPES Dehradun,
- NIT Rourkela,
- NIT Surathkal,
- NIT Raipur,
- VNIT Nagpur,
- Harnessing technology for mineral extraction with focus on eco-sensitivity;
- Assessing commercial feasibility of ore extraction in consultation with geologists;
- Evolving innovative tools for extraction of ore by integrating learning from economics, rock mechanics, and geology;
By and large, employment as a mining engineer is a field job with a comparatively limited number of opportunities available in the consulting sphere and on R&D. There is also the avenue of entering the education field as a lecturer or professor in institutes offering undergraduate and post graduate courses in mining engineering
Excellent academic background in mathematics and science
Good organizational skill
Analytical ability and problem solving approach
Managerial and team working skill
- NALCO, Bhubaneswar;
- Hindustan Copper Limited, Kolkata;;
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation;
- Steel Authority of India Ltd,
- Manganese Ore India Ltd,
- Coal India Ltd;
- Damodar Valley Corporation;
are the public sector undertakings which are much after by mining engineers for employment.
- Adani Mining Pvt. Ltd;
- Bharat Forge Ltd;
- Cairn Energy;;
- Tata Steel,
- Jindal Steel and Power Limited
are the private sector heavyweights offering employment opportunities for mining engineers.
There is also a huge demand for mining engineers in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and the United Arab Emirates (Dubai and Qatar) which are leading producers of crude oil and petroleum. Canada, the United States of America and Australia also offer enormous scope for mining engineers to further their career ambitions;
- A freshly recruited mining engineer from an average engineering college could expect a monthly salary of anywhere between Rs.25,000/- per month to Rs.40,000/- per month depending upon which institute he is a product of and the stature of the company that he is joining;
- While compensation offered by international employers may be more than Rs.1.00 lakh per month, the cost of living is a major factor that needs to be factored into the relative assessment;
Pluses and Minuses
- Mines are generally located in remote regions in a hostile environment and with difficult working conditions;
- You could also start and build your career at the corporate office of a mining company;
- The mining industry works round the clock. This applies not just to mining camps but also to off-site locations from where troubleshooting may be called for at any time;
- Mining engineers are professionals and will ordinarily not be subjected to the noise, heat, dust and humidity in the interior of the mines. But, the safety, good health and well-being of the miners will be his huge responsibility and, as a mining engineer, you must be prepared to go on site.