Duties of a Bank Probationary Officer
The job of a Bank Probationary Officer (PO) is considered as one of the lucrative career options and a white collar job in the Government Sector. Numerous Aspirants each year are ready to take up the PO Examination for the entry into the Bank Sector at this Level which guarantees high pay and better Job Profile. The job offers a high career growth and prospects for a bright future in banking.
What actually is a Bank Probationary Officer?
Many candidates actually don’t know about the responsibilities of a bank PO. They even don’t know what kind of job they have to carry, once they are recruited in banks. Thus, we are here to give an overview of what the actual Bank Probationary Officer is. In fact, a bank probationary officer post is the entry level position in the banks at which any bank officer starts work after posting. Generally, a bank PO is being kept at a 2 year probation period and on successfully completing this period gets the post of Assistant Manager on joining a branch. Normally working under this job is general banking and bank administration. Still, a bank PO is expected to possess excellent communication skills and the ability to resolve conflicts is a relaxed manner at any level.
Responsibilities of a bank P.O.
• Before the completion of the probation period, which is for 2 years, the person can be asked to perform any kind of bank related activity, which can actually range from clerical level or assistant type of job. This is done to get them acquainted with various working procedures of the bank and get accustomed to the working Procedure of the Bank.
• During the probation period, the candidates are trained for having the practical knowledge in finance, accounting, Investment, marketing and others.
• After successful completion of the probation period of 2 years, the candidates are posted in any bank branch as an Assistant Bank Manager to handle works on daily customer transactions, which is passing a cheque, draft issuance, management and many others.
• The candidates have to work towards increasing the bank business at various levels.
• Another responsibility of PO is to work as public relations officer, handle customer complaints and address various customer related issues such as discrepancies in accounts, and look into the matter related to the services of the Bank.
• Once the candidates gets accustomed to the bank environment and gain enough experience on bank’s working procedures, based on their personal skills and aptitude, they can be assigned more responsible works like budget process, planning, marketing, loan processing and approval, investment management and others.
• The work of a bank officer also includes managerial tasks, such as supervision of clerks and taking decisions in favor of bank and management of cash balance.
• PO has to verify all the work done by bank clerk. All the transactions of bank involve the role of maker and checker, where clerk is the maker, and the PO is the checker. While in case of loans, generally Bank PO is the maker and bank manager is the checker. The responsibility of losses generally resides with the checker.
• Bank PO takes care of the loan related documents and even has to visit to the site of the loan taking parties when required.
• A bank PO issues cheque books, ATM cards, Demand Drafts etc.
• They are even required to go through all the circulars and should be aware of all the decisions taken by the bank management.
• The activities of a PO are closely monitored by the supervising officer and these reviews are considered at the time of confirmation of the PO as Assistant manager, the reviews by them are greatly considered.
Based on your skills and performances, any Bank Po can rise at a rapid speed and finciaclly they are always sound. Thus, we can say that the career growth prospect of a bank PO is very high as compared to other government jobs. Just with some hard labor and high skills, you can be at the top level in the organization.
With some good Preparation and enough focus, you can easily clear Bank PO Exam and can get into one of the most relax jobs in the Banking Sector.