List of Important universities and institutes for Merchant Navy course
A career in field of Merchant Navy is juxtaposed up with adventure and voyages and absence from home. Despite the hard work, this career promises excellent pay which makes it a lucrative and an exciting one.
In this article we provide a comprehensive list of all the universities and institutes in India that offer a course that can cumulate in a career in Merchant Navy. Please find the list below:
• Neotia Institute of Technology Management and Science (NITMAS), Kolkata, West Bengal offers a Bachelor of Science (Nautical Science). Duration of the course is 2 – 3 Years.
• Indian Maritime University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu and International Maritime Academy, Tamil Nadu offers a Diploma in Nautical Science. Duration of the course is 2 – 3 Years. The fee ranges between Rs.2 to Rs.3 Lakh INR.
• Institute for Ocean Management established in 1999 offers a Doctor of Philosophy in Marine sciences. Duration of the course is 1 – 2 Years.
• International Maritime Institute, Greater Noida, Delhi NCR established in 1992 offers a Diploma in Nautical Science.
• Academy of Maritime Management Education and Training, New Delhi established in 1993 offers a Higher National Diploma in Nautical Science.
• Blue Sea International Academy of Merchant Navy, New Delhi established in 2009 offers Basic Seaman Training (Panama). Duration of the course is 1 – 2 Years.
• National Centre for Biological Sciences in Bangalore, Karnataka which is established in 1991 offers a Master of Science (Marine Biology). Duration of the course is 1 – 2 Years.
• Coimbatore Marine College, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu established in 2001 offers a Bachelor of Science (Nautical Science). Duration of the course is 2 – 3 Years.
• Noida International University, School Of Shipping and
Logistics, Greater Noida, established in 2010 offers a Bachelor of Science (Nautical Science). Duration of the course is 2 – 3Years. The fee ranges between Rs.2 to Rs.3 Lakh INR.
• Tolani Maritime Institute in Pune, Maharashtra
The institute established in the year 1998 offers a Bachelor of Science (Marine Engineering). Duration of the course is 3 – 4 Years.
• Vel’s Academy of Maritime Studies in Chennai, Tamil Nadu offers a Higher National Diploma in Nautical Science. Duration of the course is 9 – 12 Months.
• Indian Naval Academy in Kerala offers a SNOC-Short Naval Orientation Course.
• Vikrama Simhapuri University in Andhra Pradesh established in the year 2008 offers a Master of Science in Marine Biology. Duration of the course is 1 – 2 Years.
• Fleet Ocean Maritime Academy (Foma) in Pune, Maharashtra offers DECK CADET (FOMA).
• TS Chanakya institute in Mumbai and Marine Engineering Research Institute (MERI) in Kolkata and Mumbai also offer courses relating to this field.
• International Maritime Training Centre (IMTC), Mumbai, Maharashtra established in the year 1998 offers a course in Bridge team management. Duration of the course is Less than 3 months.
More details about the respective institutes can be had from the respective institute’s websites. Please use the Google search engine by typing the institute’s name.
Entry level job for a Marine Engineer fresher is the rank -fifth / junior engineer. For a Nautical Science graduate, the rank is a Deck Cadet. Experience and achievements call for promotions. The Ministry of Surface Transport, in association with the Directorate General of Shipping (DGS) conduct exams requisite for promotions. Successfully completions of these examinations give the candidates a Certificate of Competency.
For direct entry to Merchant Navy please read our article on Intro to Merchant Navy.
A resourceful, skillful and a dexterous workman is a high asset in the industry. If you possess a strong motive, self confidence, adaptive skills and a tough physical form you can surely achieve the pinnacles in this field. One who is willing to take on responsibility, one who can adjust to live in solitude and one who can bear the nausea or sea-sickness are welcome aboard.